The Sercon ISOEArth & ISOEArth+
isoEArth for CN or S
isoEArth+ for simultaneous CNS
The Sercon isoEArth systems are elemental analysers specifically configured for interface to IRMS instruments. When combined with the high sensitivity of the HS2022 IRMS, the isoEArth gives accurate and precise elemental data alongside accurate and precise isotopic data. The isoEArth is used for CN or S analysis, the isoEArth+ for simultaneous CNS. The addition of a high temperature pyrolysis furnace, the HT-EA, allows for the analysis of O and H. Both isoEArth models may have a gas autosampler added to enable gas analysis.
Key features include low helium consumption of 65 ml/min (25 ml/min low volume mode), robust long-life temperature programmable furnaces with a 15 year warranty, and an integrated thermal conductivity detector for high precision elemental data with a detection limit of < 50 ppm. When run in low level mode samples as small as 2.5 μg C, 1.5 μg N and 3 μg S can be measured with no loss of precision. A robust autosampler has many carousel options available, including zero blank and liquid autosampler options. The easily accessible furnace tubes and traps offer ease of maintenance and operation. A wide range of sample types can be measured including organic and inorganic, pharmaceutical compounds, biological, environmental, petrochemical, agricultural and foodstuffs.
*combustion furnaces only
CN analysis via combustion
A capsule containing the sample falls into the combustion tube and is converted in the presence of oxygen to CO2, N2, NOx and H2O. An elemental copper stage reduces NOx species, a MgClO4 trap removes water vapour, and a switchable Carbosorb trap can be used to remove CO2 (for 15N only analyses). A GC column then separates CO2 from N2 before transfer to the IRMS, allowing dual isotope analysis.
O and H analysis via pyrolysis
Solid or liquid autosamplers may be used with the HT-EA furnace. The sample falls into the pyrolysis tube, the pyrolysis products CO, N2, and H2 are purified by chemical processes. A MgClO4 trap removes water vapour, a Carbosorb trap removes any CO2 and a GC column separates CO from N2.
- By connecting an XYZ autosampler to the isoEArth, gas analysis from septum sealed containers is possible
- N2, CO2 and O2 can be analysed at atmospheric concentrations and above
- H2, SO2, N2O, CO and NO can be measured at elevated levels e.g. from headspace measurements.
- Purge facility on needle prevents sample carryover.
- Full automation via a software controlled autosampler which can accommodate up to 240 12 ml vials (optional bar code reader).
- Additional autosampler racks are available for vials from 6 ml to 250 ml.
- Heated sample block is available for temperature controlled reactions